- In a recent news release, the two organizations have finally made their cooperative relationship official.
- RosettaNet and OASIS have been unofficially co-operating on various levels for the past 3 years or so. When OASIS sponsored ebXML specifications were being developed, teams from ebXML and RosettaNet reviewed each other's work, and participated in meetings and other key events. The teams at RosettaNet and ebXML also ensured that they keep in synch with each other, or at least that their respective efforts don't move too far away from each other. As ebXML developed the Messaging Specification, it benefited from the 3-year real world operational experience RosettaNet had in its RNIF (RosettaNet Implementation Framework) specification that provides similar functionality.
- The working relationship, though informal and casual, has remained useful to both organizations. A while back RosettaNet announced that in future specification releases, it will phase out RNIF and start using the ebXML Messaging Specification instead. The ebXML BPSS has also been used at RosettaNet and might become part of the official specifications.
- RosettaNet is interested in creating standardized electronic business processes (known as Partner Interface Processes at RosettaNet) for different industries. The goal of RosettaNet is to enable electronic business between partners in using standardized business processes. When RosettaNet was created, it had to build a few things from the ground up. This included creating standardized dictionaries, and message routing and packaging specifications. These infrastructure efforts while necessary to achieving the RosettaNet vision, were secondary to its primary purpose of creating standardized e-business processes.
- OASIS is interested in driving "the development, convergence, and adoption of e-business standards...OASIS produces worldwide standards for security, Web services, XML conformance, business transactions, electronic publishing, topic maps and interoperability within and between marketplaces." So OASIS is interested in huge range of e-business standards, including RosettaNet
- OASIS benefited in gaining real world experience in ebXML by working with RosettaNet. It further benefits from RosettaNet's adoption of key ebXML specifications as RosettaNet has a large membership base where billions of dollars of actual e-business is conducted yearly. Exposure to this important group of users would further increase the spread of ebXML.
- OASIS can also benefit from the domain expertise at RosettaNet when developing or working with other industry standards.
- RosettaNet is also providing key input to OASIS sponsored UBL (Universal Business Language) effort.
- RosettaNet benefits from not having to maintain RNIF, it will simply use the ebXML maintained messaging specifications instead. Leaving RosettaNet more resources to focus on its core competence of e-business processes
- RosettaNet also benefits from other key ebXML specifications like BPSS, CPP etc.
- RosettaNet specifications can also reach a wider user base since new users won't have to build RosettaNet specific RNIF etc, and instead could benefit from ebXML infrastructure and RosettaNet processes.
Dig Deeper on Topics Archive
Have a question for an expert?
Please add a title for your question
Get answers from a TechTarget expert on whatever's puzzling you.